Friday 13 September 2013

links, Michael and postcards!

A warbly old blog ....

Well some interesting links!
My dear brother Mark filmed by his younger son Jacca.
My Old Man And The Sea ....The sea and boats, being around fishing, nets, pots, and then diving is so much a part of my growing up and it makes me very nostalgic and ....
well done Jacca, it's a beautiful short film.

http://vimeo.com/74315386

recently in the news, lovely art:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2416650/Duke-Duchess-Cambridge-delighted-given-2-000-painting-Prince-Georges-nursery-talented-artist-Downs.html

http://tazpaintings.wordpress.com/

Eddie and Stuart brought in a great sea song they are working on to Shallal 2 this week.

Michael Landau
Life is full of ups and downs and i have been putting of facing the news that Michael Landau has suddenly moved to London. Michael is one of the funniest, warmest and most charming people I know, I always felt better for seeing him. We had worked together a lot over the years and it was thrill for me when he was able to come to Shallal and to see people in the company slowly understand and appreciate his humour and fun and then really take it on and develop it with him, into friendships and performances. For me a lot of Shallal is allowing more people to experience each others skills, beauty, quirkiness, delightful difference, so we enrich each others lives. Mine is deeply enriched by knowing Michael and I pray the new move will open a new chapter of possibilities.
Colin, Michael and Duane in rehearsal.

Having worked for "too" many years now,  I have seen the best and the worst and still have ringing in my ears a desperate plea from a talented artist ( moving out from Budock Hospital) who was so worried, as he was being moved, that he wouldn't come back to our sessions, ( Dance and Draw, a weekly session in the community ). I was reassured by his new staff that he would be continuing to come and so reassured him he would keep coming and then, never saw him again. I am still angry at being made an accomplice to that by believing them! and letting him down.

 There was never any follow up. All the time I worked at Budock I filled out forms for time, but each person was a statistic, not someone who loved dance/music would enjoy continuing it when they left for a new life. Someone who has something to share and offer their community. Big institutions can trap everyone, some of the staff were unable to provide what they wished.....

Being a vulnerable person means just that, your quality of life can be as good as the the care you receive. The responsibility of care and even the wish to give it, but not knowing enough about that person, what they like, what they have done, the sort of things a loving family know and will put effort in to make happen. I see people shine or diminish depending on the quality of love, care and understanding surrounding them. The difference a good support worker can make in someones life.

The other experience ringing in my ears though my life was a question from Peter who lived in one of the first independent homes, where I was a community service volunteer living with them, "Why do all the nice people leave?" the nice people -  the people who care. The responsibility of employers to make the work place good and supportive so good staff don't burn out and leave but stay, skills share and develop it all.
 (I burnt out with no adequate supervision on that placement and left early.)

While watching people in voluntary work i noticed most people had worked through their reasons/questions to be there and unless deeply committed to the work left after about 2 years. 

Onto St Ives,
and more in next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment