Thursday 5 February 2015

Methods

Shallal 2 last night and some people off ill, but still some exciting work created in anticipation of potential summer performances and stretching our methods for spontaneous choreography.
They are an unusual group but really fertile ground for developing new structures, methods and expanding old ones. Last night we were watching each other, 2 groups of 4 following a simple instruction and Leigh leaned over to me and gave the thumbs up to the work he was watching. The reflective, appreciative response and learning from each other and full collaboration.
The next section, made up on the spot as usual and true to workshop as a creative practice, Jo Lumber commented on, it was "soothing to watch", it is like breath or a gentle conversation..all things we hope to explore in more depth in our residency.
How to take these wonderful workshop experiences and weave them into a performance structure, whilst maintaining their freedom. I am looking forward to having the time for reflection and conversation as we learn from each other whilst exploring it.
Good news in recently for some future work which we will blog about as soon as it's"official."
So looking forward to the time for creative practice, winter is a good time for the  "burying" into ideas to see them fruit later in the year.

I have mentioned it before, my brother's blog, and now I am again as this last blog brings hope and the good example of caring for ecosystems of which people are an important part.
https://markdeeble.wordpress.com/2015/02/01/hope-for-elephants-one-womans-passion/
and although I am biased I think he writes beautifully.
I spent formative years in my late teens hanging around with my brother, and then Vicky as well, on boats in the Fal estuary. I am ever grateful that he gave me a trip to the Serengeti when they first worked there. Seeing elephant prints in the soft brown dust like tree trunk stamps, and then a herd weaving between rocks and trees and later stopping to watch 3 elephants within the beautiful Ngorongro Crater having a dust bath were some of my strongest memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment