Friday 22 February 2013

digression!

A quick digression into the creativity that surrounds us, we are all interconnected and seeing other artists work, progress, creativity is really inspiring;

 Interesting conversations re international initiatives, things close to my heart, such as institutions ( working originally at Budock Hospital formed a lot of what i believe, about people, choice, creativity - it must never happen again but still does happen in many places! and it's not ok to swop a big institution for a small one, which inadequate staffing can do) and peoples creativity;
so;
http://tbact.org/


Then locally re met Michel;
beautiful work, worth a visit to kiln opening or website!
His invitation;


"On Saturday 2nd March, 2013, from 3pm to 5pm I'll be holding a Kiln Opening.
 Come and join me in the discovery of my new work as it emerges still warm from the kiln. "




"I use ancient timeless techniques to create functional vessels.
Be it bowls, jugs, or jars, they benefit from a purity of form giving them a sculptural quality.
 I craft my own glazes using Feldspar, Cornish stone and ash from local trees, such as Chestnut, Ash, and Beech.
By starving the kiln of oxygen, I draw minerals and oxides from inside the clay to the surface.  
There they react with the ash glaze-  the glazes act as prisms that filter and reflect light.
This process ensures that each piece is unique.

I Graduated from Falmouth University in 2002, then apprenticed at the Leach Pottery, St Ives.
Following from this, I set up my own studio outside Helston, off the B3302
(The Halye to st Ives Road. )
My recent Projects include co-designing and producing a new range of tableware for the Eden project.
I was awarded a research grant by AIR (Academy of Innovation and Research) to facilitate this.
My work has been shown in Paris (Gallery Art Présent),and London (Gallery 43 Mayfair)
In Edinburgh and Taipei (International Teabowl Exhibition).

Work is available for purchase, prices range from 10 to 400 pounds.

Russian tea and Chocolate cake will be served !" .....in Shallal we support initiatives which involve hospitality - tea and cake !

For more information visit www.michelfrancois.co.uk or call 01736 448 002

Directions to the Kiln & Studio:
2 miles from Helston Off the B3302 signposted between Helston and Halye. 
You will find a map here http://michelfrancois.co.uk/en/contact/
Feel free to check my website www.michelfrancois.co.uk
telephone studio :01736 448 002


And lastly this morning i received a photo from my brother working at his home in Kenya!
"I am currently shooting a timelapse of waterlilies opening in our 'studio' aka production office at the house."

Working within Budock Hospital was formative, also visiting the Serengeti many years ago, kindly funded by my brother  (when he and Vicky were first working there) was formative, so beautiful such an expanse of wildlife, balanced ecosystems etc. What would we be like if we lived in balance/harmony ? many questions, and just the pure vastness and sense of space, something you don't see in Cornwall!
and then creatively; just a body (and some space- optional) for dance, but film? look at all the equipment....



back to work, all this is inspiring and has been a pleasant distraction/inspiration but now back to budgets! or maybe just breakfast and last day of half term............

No comments:

Post a Comment